The BURGER KING Scholars Program has given 17, 000 scholarships worth $17.6 million to highschool students and BURGER KING employees and their children across the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Created in memory of BURGER KING co-founder James W. McLamore, the scholarship programs aims to help students offset the cost of going to college or pursuing post-secondary vocational or technical school.
With scholarships ranging from $1000 to $5000, recipients of the said scholarship are selected based on their grade point average, work experience, involvement in extracurricular activities, and/or community service. Last spring, the foundation awarded more than 2000 scholarships, totaling more than $2.2 million, nearly doubling the scholarships granted last 2011.
Award Details of the Foundation
- Maximum amount: $50,000
- Number of awards: 1258
- Award type: Scholarships
- Application Overview:
- Register and create an online account
Application Process Information
- A list of your work experiences and involvement in school and community activities
- A current transcript of grades
- BURGER KING employee information if your application is to be affiliated with an employee
- If applicable, your family’s financial information (a copy of your parents’ most recent tax form filed with the IRS or Revenue Canada may be helpful)
- Must be living in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico
- Must be graduating high school seniors (U.S. and Puerto Rico), graduating from grade 12 (Canada) or graduating from home school education in the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada
- Must have a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent
- Is planning to enroll full-time, without interruption, for the entire academic year beginning in the fall at an accredited two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico
- Recipients of the James W. McLamore WHOPPER Scholarship will be chosen from the general applicant pool (please see provider site for more eligibility requirements).
- Children of employees and employees pursuing a traditional postsecondary education are also eligible to apply (please see provider site for detailed eligibility requirements).
Scholarships are funded directly by the BURGER KING McLAMORE Foundation and are made possible by generous donors including BK employees, franchisees, vendors, and guests. Our largest annual fund raiser is the Fall Fundraiser in-restaurant promotion. Every dollar raised through this campaign is used to fund scholarships. Each year, the BURGER KING Scholars Program move an inch closer to their goal of granting one $1000 scholarship for every BK restaurant in North America.